I went into town yesterday and found the University of Western Australia. I used their computers and found a couple of books on transgender stuff. One of them was called Seeking an identity: youth with gender issues. This was right up my alley and I found it, surprise, surprise, in the medical section. DSM-IV-TR says the following for diagnosis:
- A strong persistent cross-gender identification (not merely a desire for any perceived cultural advantages of being the other sex.) In children, the disturbance is manifested by four (or more) of the following:
- Repeatedly stated desire to be, or insistence that he or she is, the other sex.
- …in girls, insistence on wearing only stereotypical masculine clothing.
- Strong preference for playmates of the other sex.
- Persistent discomfort with his or her sex or sense of inappropriateness in the gender role of that sex.
- The disturbance is not concurrent with physical intersex condition.
- The disturbance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
I found out how to use the photocopy machine and went for it. And I did have boy playmates growing up and was the best kick in the street.
The treatment in this book mentions Stage 1: evaluation, diagnosis, individual/group psychotherapy, education.
Well, I’ve been evaluated though I never got the results from my psychology test.
Stage II is hormone replacement therapy which I’m getting now, once a fortnight. Yay.
Stage III is reassignment surgery. I’ll have a double mastectomy in under a year’s time. Another place to notify my change of name.
In chapter 7 there was some discussion between transsexual and transgender, e.g. only transsexuals had reassignment surgery.
I watched My transsexual summer the other night and not all wanted to have lower surgery. There are four boys in the retreat and I got to see how a large chest looks after surgery (scars), as well as a penis, which was very large. I’m still not sure about having one and a pshrink told me to buy a dildo if I wanted to please a woman. I love peeing facing the toilet but not wise when I’m out as I’d have to take off most of my clothes. I still haven’t been into a men’s toilet but with my new haircut I’m going to have to bite the bullet and do it, remembering not to look at other men as I enter and head for a cubicle/stall. And when I wash my hands and leave.
I can do it because it’s me and I deserve to be doing men’s things.